Being a leader is about managing people without causing resentment.
Dale Carnegie recognized that this was a fine balancing act and came up with 9 tips for being an effective leader.
What you will learn:
Start with praise –
- Say something positive and then follow it with the negative feedback
Indirectly call attention to mistakes –
- Subtly draw the persons attention to their mistake
Point out your mistakes –
- When giving criticism start out by talking about the similar mistakes you made
Rephrase an order into a question –
- This sparks creativity and helps people feel involved in decision making
Preserve dignity –
- Give the person the opportunity to save face when delivering negative feedback
Praise any improvements –
- It encourages people to do well when they know their efforts are noticed
Give them a reputation to live up to –
- Act like they have the desirable trait already
Be encouraging –
- Finding something to praise, even if it is a white lie!
Make them happy to do it –
- Convince the person of the benefits of doing what you want